Monday, March 16, 2009

The Value of a Personal Trainer vs Doing it Yourself

Never before have I realised how important it is to have someone there, by your side motivating you and ensuring that your technique is right with every exercise you do.

For the last week I have been travelling and with that comes hotel gyms and the odd walk in the park.

Whilst I put off going to the gym the first couple of days, a voice in the back of my head (Angela's) told me that if you miss a week, next week is going to be harder to take or even worse, you will start finding excuses as to why not to come to the gym.

To put you straight, I have loved the one-on-one sessions at body4u with the personal trainer. At first I found it hard, but then I came to really enjoy the interaction, movtivation and importantly guidance on how to do exercises correctly.

What a personal trainer does is it allows you to concentrate on what you are doing, whilst they concentrate on ensuring that you are doing the right exercises to get you fit, lose weight and NOT injure yourself.

I am like most people and that is a novice with technique. I have improved dramatically over the last few months, but I still need that person standing beside me and ensuring that I am doing it right and effectively.

On top of this, the first thing my personal trainer at Cleveland does is ask me what I have been doing for the week. If I say I have been eating well and have gone for walks or a class or two, they are pleased. If I say I have been eating junk food, put on a couple of kilos and haven't had time to do anything, they remind me of the reason why I am there in the first place.

Personal Trainers are also really good for confidence. When you arrive tired because you didn't sleep well the night before (or worse - have a hangover), they steer you through a session with encouragement.

They show you what you can look like if you were to take it seriously. If your personal trainer is fat - sack them now! Mine is fit, healthy and an inspiration to us all.

Thanks to body4u, I am losing weight, gaining muscle and my confidence in putting on that slinky black party dress has gone through the roof.

I don't mind wearing a bikini at the beach or a pair of shorts to a bbq at a friends place.

The confidence that getting fit has given me has allowed me to be me. Not to be that girl with thunder thighs and a tyre hanging over her jeans.

If I could only spend $50 per week on one thing - it would be personal training. It gives me more than any other expenditure I have. I feel better after a session than when I do buying a new dress. The reward is there for you to see in the mirror each and every day.

www.body4u.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment