Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Getting Started With Fitness

I don't know about you, but I have been working 50 to 60 hour weeks for the last 5 years, and by the time I get home each night, I am too tired to do anything let alone go to a gym.

On occasion, usually this time of year, I join a gym. It usually is expensive, I go a couple of times and never go back again.

Late last year, I turned 35 and I know like every woman my age that has let themselves go, I need to do something before its too late.

I have a professional job running my own consultancy firm and I find it hard to commit to anything and for that matter anyone.

When I go somewhere like a gym, I feel embarrassed and quite alone. Its the sort of thing I wished someone would come with me and hold my hand and show me the ropes.

But... the reality is, I can't commit to a particular time and am highly unreliable due to my travel commitments. On top of that, none of my friends that are unfit really want to go. Sure they say they do, but making that first step is always the hardest thing to do.

Someone mentioned to me a personalised gym in Cleveland (close to Redland Bay area in Brisbane) and although it is 20 minutes away from where I live, I decided to give it a go.

I rang them up and a young girl answered the phone. I asked what was the price (always important), what facilities they had and whether there was someone that I can talk to about what I am trying to achieve (a supermodel body with little effort - not too much to ask really!).

She organised an appointment with Angela, the owner, which impressed me. I always like to know who owns what in case I have a problem.

The day I arrived at my first meeting, I was all geared up to get started and was greeted by a group of friendly faces. The gym wasn't too packed and had all people around my age and older in it which made me feel more secure.

I was nervous... although I am not particularly sure why.

Angela came out with a beeming smile (did she know something I didn't) and offered me a drink and took me into a meeting room.

She asked me a series of questions about my health and what I was trying to achieve and was very positive.

Then she put me on the scales, got a tape measure out and started analysing the mechanics of my body.

After telling me that I was in fact not in too bad shape (I could be worse) and that we could achieve what I am looking for with some consistent training, I felt relieved.

Then we talked about food and lifestyle - all normal stuff I suppose, but I found it strangely interesting. I think it is the friendly way in which she communicates these things and how easy it was to understand.

We then went out into the gym and did a session.

What body4u offer is a personalised gym instruction. As part of your membership you get a free training session (one-on-one) each week. At any normal gym, with this included it would be double if not triple the price, but they keep it low because their aim is for people to reach their personal goals.

They are also a reasonably new gym with the latest in equipment, so they are still getting their brand name out there.

After the workout, which was hard, but rewarding, I went into the restrooms. Wow! That's all I can say. They have everything you could ever want in a restroom and the showers actually have room to move and put your stuff up.

I once went to Fitness First in North Sydney and the showers had no place to even put your towel, and let me assure you, I wasn't going out into the general area in the nude. The showers had a door, no hooks and it was so small I felt claustrophobic. The whole gym was extremely tired and there was a few posers (and moaners for that matter).

There is nothing like that at body4u. It really is a personalised, modern gym that is so clean you could eat a meal from the floor (not that I care to try this!).

No comments:

Post a Comment